After these were approved by the Silver Senate and the Silver House, the NSHC narrowed its focus to the Top 5 priorities. These priorities will be recommended to the U.S. Congress for enactment into legislation to improve the quality of life for aging Americans.
The National Silver Haired Congress’s Top 5 Resolutions for 2016 are:
- Implement a Silver Alert Notification Network for Missing Elderly Citizens
- Create an Ongoing Living Adjustment (SS COLA) Guarantee
- Increase Funding in the States’ HCCBG (Home and Community Care Block Grants) to Support Malnutrition Screening for Older Adults.
Section 1: Increase funding in the HCCBG program to include malnutrition screening and intervention in essential benefits and Medicare annual exam.
Section 2: Include coverage for oral nutrition supplements for malnourished and at-risk dual-eligible populations.
Section 3: Collect and analyze Medicare/Medicaid data to improve outcomes with malnutrition screening and intervention.
Section 4: Expand medical nutrition therapy coverage to include malnutrition.
- Establish a Senate Standing Committee on Aging
- Reform Social Security Funding